Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Tuesday and Snow

This is a continuation of the supposedly worst snow storm in memory. First of all it was "cry wolf" syndrome. Yes, it snowed a lot and they succeeded scaring everybody to stay indoors but no, it was not as bad as they forecasted it. At least not In New York and not where I live.

I was in snow storm where I had to leave my car in the middle of the street because couldn't drive it any further. In this one my street was cleaned pretty quickly.

But one thing was very interesting. The City declared a travel ban at 11 pm Monday night, meaning absolutely no cars on the streets anywhere, and also stopped all public transportation.

I looked out the window around midnight and it was eerily quiet. Where my window look is never quiet. There is always traffic there including city buses. But this time there was absolutely nothing. It was like in a sci fi movie where the aliens come and make the people disappear. The streets were quiet and only the snow plows were moving. But give credit where credit is due they were moving front of my building all night long.

I have been living in this city for almost sixty years but I have never seen anything like this. Absolutely no traffic. It was unbelievable. And since there was no public transportation there were no people either.

Today, just after lunch time we ventured out for a drive. I have a four wheel drive and I claim that my car can tackle any snow mound that might happen. So, we went out.

Well, this was another experience. Because most of the cars that parked on the streets were buried in snow, traffic again was almost non existent. It was a real pleasure to drive around. We went to a nearby park where kids were sledding down a little hill and we walked around in the nice fresh and clean snow and had a good time.

Now, the storm is over and the digging out remains. But whatever happens remember what a very wise mountain man once said:

Don't eat the yellow snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment