Thursday, January 15, 2015

Advertisements

Many-many years ago we subscribed to TV Guide. That was before there were eight million channels on TV and we were able to see what was on our local programming. Then TV Guide changed to some generic scheduling and it was impossible to find out what was on the telly. Well, immediately after that we canceled our subscription.

But while TV Guide was coming I started a one man war against their advertisers. Whatever ads were attached to the magazine in the form of an insert or any page that had ads on both side I ripped out. This way the magazine became quite thin and a lot more manageable. Also it was a lot more satisfying to handle.

I kept up that war. Until today any publication I receive get the same treatment. First I tear out the inserts then I check the pages with ads on bot sides and out they go. It is surprising how much more civilized these magazines become.

Just like in the movie Network"We're as mad as hell, and we're not going to take this anymore". Today I received two magazines in the mail and the first thing I did was to remove these ads. I know they support these magazines but that's not my problem!

I really can not understand the advertising industry. They spend gazillions of dollars on stuff people do not really care about or they have no proof that the stuff was bought because of the ads. To me that money that big companies spend on their advertisings can be spent somewhere else a lot better.

Lately I watch more sports than before and I noticed that athletes dress up like billboards. Some uniforms just don't have enough room for all the product names they place on them.

Adidas or Izod or Ralph Lauren think that people will run to the sports stores and buy their stuff because some very high priced athlete wears their stuff? I really don't believe it. The athlete wears it because he or she is getting paid for it and he or she is getting free equipment.

For myself, I buy things that are economically reasonable and equipment that is good and not because some snow bunny uses it and it looks good on her!

No comments:

Post a Comment