Saturday, January 3, 2015

Time Square

New Year's Eve we and a few other people were watching ABC TV broadcast from Times Square in New York. The main attraction was the dropping of the ball at midnight. But to me the main attraction was watching the people freezing their asses off while waiting for the big event.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people are willing to put up with for a small amount of entertainment and a slim chance for being on live television. People can complain for the smallest change in their everyday life is that change creates discomfort. But they are willing to stand in the cold for hours, pee in a coffee cup if needed for a chance to see the ball drop.

As far as I know some people were there as early as 8-9 in the morning. The rule was if anyone left their "corral" they were given a hard time upon their return for the sake of security. So, what did they do when nature called. Because in all those hours and cold temperatures nature definitely called I'm sure.

It was interesting to see that about twenty minutes after Midnight Times Square almost all empty. I guess people couldn't wait to get out of there. Then why bother to go?

We watched it on Television from the comforts of a nice warm home. And couldn't understand what was the magic of being there and freeze at the same time.

Maybe all those people -few millions of them- were lonely people who had no place to go and figured Times Square was as god as any place.

We had a lovely party. I was with my friends in their friend's house were there was an abundance of food and drinks. We didn't eat or drink ourselves silly but still managed to have good time.

We discovered that conversation is good entertainment, also. We were there until past one am and by the time I got home it was about 2:15 in the morning. But this was not important. The important thing was that this was the first time I was out at New Year's Eve in about ten years and I enjoyed myself immensely.

Maybe I'll celebrate Chinese New Year so I can have a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment