Friday, February 27, 2015

Thursday

I love to eat stuff that I don't know where they are coming from. More accurately food that are described in a language that I do not understand but the food looks sympathetic and tasty. If I find that its origin is kind of unsavory, well I chalk it up for experience.

Knowingly I would not eat sheep balls, snakes, rooster balls, dogs, cats and maybe a few other and similar type of foods. However, I ate ostrich, turtle soup, snails (escargot), frogs' legs, calve brain, raw fish (sushi) and raw beef (steak tartare).

There is a Russian supermarket not far from where I live and today we went there to do a little shopping. The beauty of the store is that there are a lot of things there I did not understand. Like their cold cuts and prepared cold salads.

I bought cold cuts there before and without really knowing what they were I have to admit they all tasted great. The same applied to the salads. There were Russian, Ukrainian, Kazan salads and beside looking pretty appetizing they also taste great.

When ordering cold cuts it is hard to stop because of the multitude of varieties and one's desire to be adventurous. The prices are good so I just keep going and keep ordering.

There is another thing I find Russians like a lot and it is sweets. In this store there is a display of chocolates of such a magnitude that I have never seen anything like it. Chocolates, truffles, chocolate covered cherries filled with liquor. They are all packaged in beautiful boxes and look great even to a non-chocolate lover like me. Most of the chocolates are Russian or Polish or some other Baltic country made but equally taste very good.

Make a long story short we came home with six shopping full of foods after a casual "just stop to look" few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment