Saturday, February 21, 2015

Carmen Friday

Today is Friday but I have to talk about last night. As the world knows I and we went to the opera and saw and heard Carmen.

This was not my first time to the Metropolitan Opera but even if I were not there for many years it still overwhelmed me and us both. For one what a different audience then at the Mamma Mia!

Yes, there were people in jeans and sneakers but overall people were dressed a lot better then in any other place. I don't know if it was because these are better class people or because they give more respect to the artists then they do on Broadway.

We both saw this opera before so it was not the storyline. It never is in an opera. It was the music and the performance. I am not a connoisseur of classical music but I enjoyed this immensely.

The music is fresh and lively and the fact that they tell each other ninety nine times, not forty seven times, that they love each other does not take away from the event. There were a lot of very familiar tunes and we enjoyed them all. Our seats were good with a good view of the stage and orchestra.

I am not a nationalist but it still felt good and made me proud that the role of Escamillo the toreador was sung by a Hungarian bass-baritone straight from the Budapest Opera house.

The performance was over by 10 pm and it took us about a half an hour to get our car out off the garage. We had dinner in a very nice restaurant on Times Square. After that we drove home and ended a very nice day.

By the way, my cold is almost over and it is thanks to the TLC I received at the hands of my LGF (Loving Girl Friend).

No comments:

Post a Comment