Friday, December 26, 2014

X-mas

As I mentioned yesterday we had a very lovely X-mas Eve dinner to usher in the holiday. The fact that we were all Jewish didn't bother anybody because my friend and I always celebrated Christmas with gift giving. We never celebrated it for its religious significance because as far as I am concerned that was lost, at least here in the US a long time ago.

We simply celebrated it because it is a good time to show to those around us that we care!

This country and unfortunately many others are following it has a great talent to turn any holiday into a commercial endeavor. Commercial Christmas starts in October the latest and goes on until the end of the year. Then it is on to Valentine's day and then on and on. It's a never ending cycle.

Religion has absolutely no meaning at all.

Staying on this last subject, last night I stayed up late watching the Midnight Mass. In New York they broadcast from St. Patrick's Cathedral and every year I watch this.

I find very interesting the pomp, the presence of the politicians, the Cardinal and the entire bally-ho.

If this is a joyful celebration for the Catholics I would hate to see a sad event. The mass was long and extremely boring with very depressing choral numbers. I can really not see how they can celebrate a happy event such a way. By the way I also watched the one from Rome with the Pope and that was even more somber. The pope was probably thinking that he would rather be in bed at that late hour than doing that stuff.

The Pope is worse than Cardinal Dolan because he mumbles, I think in Italian and nobody can understand him. The Cardinal at least speaks with a clear audible voice.

While watching these ceremonies I always wandered if these intelligent people, the participants, really believed all that stuff or they are just doing it because that is their job or obligation or calling.

Now I know I will go to hell for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment