Friday, December 19, 2014

Cars

The other day I went down my street and went out to the boulevard, meaning I walked. I live on a one way tree lined street with cars parked on both side.

As I walked I was looking at the cars as any men would. There was nothing interesting on the street that would have dominated my attention. So, I am looking at the cars and came to the conclusion.

Nobody really buys American cars. I did not count the automobiles I just looked and they were an combination of Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Lexus, Nissan. These were the majority of the cars. I probably saw three Chevrolet but I'm not a hundred percent sure. There were no Buicks or Chryslers. Oh, there was one Jeep.

If this cursory survey represents the condition of the American auto industry then all I can say is that they are in a very sad shape.

When I drive on the roads I can see more Bentley or Maserati than Buick. I don't even understand how Buick survives. Buick is now a rare thing.

But seriously, this microcosm represent the general state of the American auto industry. People just don't want to buy American cars.

Back in the 1990s I had a Ford Tempo. At that time it was lauded as one of the best cars on the market. I had more problem with that car than with all my other cars combined. Every week I took it back to the dealer for repair. Some warranty some not. Even the service manager noted that anything that could have gone wrong with that car did.

After two years I got rid of it and decided if that was the jewel of the American auto industry, thank you very much I don't need it.

From then on I bought foreign cars with the exception of a few Jeeps.

Now I am on my third Korean car and I just love it. I just do not trust the Detroit auto makers. And it seem that the majority of the people feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment