Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Nostalgia

I know I wrote about music before but this I have to mention. As I noted before I have Sirius Radio in my new car for a ninety day period for free as a promotion. After that I will get stuck with a dud button that will do nothing because I will certainly not subscribe to that thing.

Anyway, at the beginning of the dial there are several stations that broadcast pop music. They start with the forties and works themselves up to the 2000s. I really enjoy the music of the 40s and the 50s but not the later ones.

But what I wanted to mention is that it is interesting to hear how music evolved from the 1940s. Back then music was music. The lyrics were clear, they were understandable, made sense and were pleasant to listen to. The musicians were artists in their own fields and didn't need electronic amplifications. But as the years progressed the performers started to holler and scream and bark louder and louder while the lyrics became more and more obscure and idiotic.

Maybe I am just a conservative old man stuck in the old days. But whenever I have the chance I do listen to those old tunes from the 40s and the 50s and I really enjoy them.

In the 40s those artists were real artists. Both the musicians and the singers. In the 50s there were the one hit wonders the ones we never heard from in later years but then later on, well I don't really care much about the later ons. Maybe there were a few good ones in the 60s but after that forget it!

Anyway, this is my opinion.

Something else.

For a while I wanted to buy a clock radio for my bedroom but was not very successful finding one that I liked. I didn't want CD player, I didn't want I phone charger I just wanted a plain clock radio. No such luck finding any until now.

Today I figured that the stores are putting out all the junks for the unthinking Christmas shopper why not to be one of them. With that thought I went to Best Buy and found a pretty good one. But then I said to myself why not to try Walmart, they probably have even cheaper ones. So, I went to Walmart end was successful finding one for les than ten dollars.

I immediately bought it and that was my Christmas present to me.

It remains to be seen how good it will work! But then what can one expect for ten dollars!

No comments:

Post a Comment