Saturday, December 27, 2014

Speed

It is very interesting (and annoying) to see how people observe the new and totally idiotic speed limit in New York City. As of sometime last month the illustrious mayor of this fair city reduced the speed limit to 25 miles per hour. His claim was that if people are hit by a car travelling at that speed it would not cause fatality.

I don't know, I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by a Hummer going at 25 miles per hour!

Anyway, I travel enough in the City to see that drivers are struggling to observe this speed limit. I live in a suburb of New York City where we have many main roads that are multi lane and nice and wide and I noticed that even when there is plenty of room ahead of the lead car nobody jumps out to get ahead or to go faster.

This is very commendable but making driving that much more difficult because it forces people to watch the speedometer instead of the road. 30-35 is about the accepted speed that most of the people drive except a few morons who keep the 25 mph limit. Unfortunately the 30-35 mph speed on a long stretch still makes the drive unnecessary long.

But as I said before hats off to most of the drivers who really go along with this and are forced to drive with the lower speed.

When there is rush hour traffic there is no problem because traffic is not moving but when the roads are empty like on a holiday night it is real pain to go that slow. That's why I love to go out of the City whenever I have the chance because out there they don't have an idiot for mayor and people can drive normally with normal speed limits.

Maybe I should emigrate to Long Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment