Thursday, June 12, 2014

Traffic

Yesterday I wrote about my emotional trip into Manhattan. Today is the physical trip is the subject.

Anybody who drive into Manhattan during the day must have his/hers head examined, me included. But out of necessity I took my car. I went to two different places, my doctor and Sloan Kettering and they are not really close each other. So I took my car.

I decided to park at the Hospital garage and take public transportation to my doctor's office and back. This second part was the only part that worked really good.

I gave myself two and a half hours before the doctor's appointment and I just made it. The minute I got off the bridge at the Manhattan end it was stop and go. More stop than go.

Trucks, taxis, cars. The traffic people really have no clue how to direct traffic so it is a wild west of motor vehicles. If one does not know how to be a cowboy that person will not move. The result is that everybody cuts in front of the other. Total motorized mayhem.

Finally I got to the Hospital garage where I waited about 45 minutes on line before I got inside. Fortunately, it is a huge garage but the attendants move at snail's pace to receive cars. I congratulated myself that I allowed so much extra time but I knew the garage situation since unfortunately I spent a lot of time in that institution.

Interestingly it took 45 minutes to get in but later it took only about four minutes to collect the car when I was leaving. That's when they get the tip!

One has to be suicidal to drive in such conditions. Every road I was driving on had lane restrictions due to some type of construction. This really gives the impression that the City is crumbling at the seams.

It also gives the impression that nobody really cares and what is much worse that nobody is really controlling the situation. For the shortest distances in Midtown, like just circling a city block takes a lifetime.

I really feel sorry for the tourists because New York City is anything but tourist friendly as far as driving goes. And some people can not help it, they come by car. But They will learn. If they are smart they will not come to New York again.

No comments:

Post a Comment