Monday, June 23, 2014

Grandpa!

The definition of a Grandparent must be very complicated. The way I see it grandparents do a lot more for their grandchildren then they ever did for their own children. Well, at least the way I see it.

Maybe the reason is that they do it until it is fun but then they can always say, enough now go back to your parents!

My cousin just let me know that today he was going on a camping trip with his nine year old grandson. This is a five day, four night trip where they would be sleeping in tents, sleeping on army cots and would be exposed to bugs, bears and anything between.

This is not the worst. The bad thing is that there are no electronics of any kind in the camp. No TV, no cell phones no contact with the outside world. Now that's going to be tough.

My cousin is the same age as I am and he has never ever done anything like this in his short life. The toughest he ever had was when we left Hungary way back then and in the refugee camp we had to fill our mattresses with straw. That was hard and not very sanitary.

The little boy had to go, the parents were not available, being both professionals so he volunteered for this task.

I am really curious to see how he will manage this exercise. I'm sure if a bear show up he will sit him down for a poker game and the bear will lose his fur coat.

Other thing

Today I had a very good day. I had brunch with my brother and sister-in-laws in Manhattan. The brunch was very pleasant. The restaurant that was also a bar had two TVs showing soccer games so the place was a little noisy but we still managed to talk and have a good time.

The only idiotic thing I did was that I misread the time and arrived in Manhattan almost an hour and a half before we were supposed to meet. Due to traffic I couldn't go back home so I decided to rediscover Manhattan. I drove up to Harlem and drove around.

I was like a tourist. Admiring at the improvements I saw. It didn't look like the dilapidated, dirty neighborhood I remember from years ago. Nice buildings, restaurants, cleaner streets.

I actually found a nice French bistro where we might go once.

This just proves that one is never too old to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment