Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day

Today is Sunday and it is Father's Day.

My social calendar was pretty empty so I decided to go to the gym. Because of my previous doctors' appointments I kind of abandoned going to exercise for a while. But since I didn't get any disturbing news I went back today. It felt really good.

Today the place was exceptionally empty. I guess not just because it was Sunday but because of Father's Day.

This is the day when everybody one day out of the 365 is nice to their fathers.

The way I see it fathers have three purposes in life.

One: make babies. Can not have a baby without a father.

Two: work and support the family to bring up the children

Three: make sure that upon their departures from this life they leave their hard earned valuables to their offspring.

To me Father's Day is a very commercial event and it seems that it was created just to get "even" with Mother's Day.

When I was growing up in Europe I never heard of Father's Day but always heard of Mother's Day. Fathers were never important enough to get their own day until somebody decided that they can make money out of it.

Just like on Mother's day this is the day when they take good old dad out of his comfort zone, take him to a restaurant, surround him with his family regardless if he wants to see them or not and continuously asking him if he is having a good time.

Good old dad would much rather be home watching baseball, golf or the World Cup soccer games than be in that awful restaurant with those noisy grand kids and lousy food.

At the end one of his sons will pay the tab with money he borrowed earlier from his father.

This is my cynical view of Father's Day.

To all the fathers out there, Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment