Sunday, June 22, 2014

Saturday

It is unbelievable how small the world got, and I am talking about sports right now. In my time and that was quite a while ago when somebody represented a country one could be sure that the person was born in that country and was able to speak the language.

Now all that changed. Professional athletes change citizenships as I change underwear. In the sports world the citizenship is closely related to convenience. One time I was looking to some Hungarian basketball teams and checking out the players. In some teams a large percentage of the players were definitely not born in Hungary, not even near the country. Some came from Africa but every one had Hungarian citizenship.

During the Olympic games there was an ice skating duo who skated for Japan even though both were born in the US. They couldn't make the US team but made the Japanese team. Received Japanese citizenship and lived happily ever after. Oh, they didn't speak Japanese either.

Right now the Nigeria-Bosnia Herzegovina soccer game is on and the announcer noted that one of the Bosnian player used to play for Switzerland but then changed his allegiance and now plays for the Bosnian national team.

I guess in the sport world they sell citizenships for athletes like in a supermarket.

Look at the big name tennis players. Most live here in the US but when they play they represent their own country like Russia. Is this right, is this fair?

Other thing.

Today, Saturday was a beautiful day. The first day of Summer and the day with the longest daylight hours. It was very pleasant, sunny, not too hot and certainly not humid. I don't even have the airconditioners on, just the windows open and I like it.

Today I was alone. Did some supermarket shopping and took my car on fumes to the gas station for fill up.

My friend from Budapest wrote me that all is set and she is definitely coming to NY toward the end of September. I am really looking forward to it.

If I am lucky enough I will have another young lady visiting from Budapest but I don't know just when.

Don't misunderstand, I am not inviting women from Hungary to visit. These are close good friends whom I am looking forward seeing. If I would have a male friend who wants to visit he would be also welcome but right now my only cousin whom I would love to see refuses to fly and there are no buses between New York and Budapest.

No comments:

Post a Comment