Sunday, June 1, 2014

Saturday

Today is Saturday and to say the least it was a very busy day.

This morning my friend called me that she was in her car waiting for service because the car had a flat tire. She told me where she was and I said I would go there immediately because I wasn't too happy with her sitting on the side of a very busy road.

I was there in about 25-30 minutes and she was where she said she would be.

She is a member of the AAA and naturally they were called for road service. Now, they are good but not fast. They said service would be there in an hour.

However there was a little problem. New York City has some roads called Parkways where service is provided by permit only. Meaning AAA can not just drive up on these roads and help the poor motorists.

After waiting for a considerable time AAA called and said that they accidentally sent service to the wrong address. How stupid! Just like New York's 911 operators.

But they called later and said that since they were not permitted to provide the service we would have to pay $150 for the tow truck that they dispatched. I think AAA would reimburse the money later but still this is unbelievable.

It is a rip-off on a grand scale using people's troubles to make money. It is disgusting to say the least.

Anyway, when I heard what it would cost I said forget the whole thing and decided to change the tire. I didn't change a tire in many-many years and honestly it was fun, I really enjoyed doing it.

The only danger is that the car is on the side of the road and other cars are whizzing by pretty fast. But fortunately the bad tire was on the far side away from the road so I was pretty safe.

Interesting note is the fact that we were there for about an hour and during that time not a single police car came by to stop and ask if there was anything they could do. I wondered where were they?

Having coffee and donuts?

1 comment:

  1. You are better man than I. Never in million years would I have changed the tires, not on the Parkway or anywhere. Those days for me are over.

    ReplyDelete