Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Nice Monday

Today, the first day of the week, I had a vary nice day. First, the weather was fantastic. Not too hot but sunny most of the day. My friend and I decided to hang out together all day which turned out to be a very good decision.

In the morning we had to go somewhere and do something that we took care of fairly simply. After we decided to drive up to Yonkers, New York and go to the Stew Leonard's supermarket there to do some shopping.

For those who are not familiar with Stew Leonard's it is an upscale supermarket where better quality stuff than at regular supermarkets are being sold.

So this was the plan. But Thanks to New York's never ending traffic jams we never made it. Instead we decided to visit the Italian neighborhood around Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. My friend was never there but I was earlier this year with my friends visiting from England.

Being a week day it was very pleasant. No crowds, no traffic there, parking was easy. Walked around a bit, looked at stuff but since we already had plans for an early dinner we did not eat there. Maybe next time.

By the time we finished rush hour traffic just about started but we made it back to our neck of the woods.

We drove out to Queens and went to eat in a Mexican restaurant. It was a treat for me because I never ever ate in a Mexican restaurant.

The place was very charming, with the side doors open and fresh air coming through. A lot of people were there and were watching the three TV monitors showing the ongoing World Cup soccer games. It just happen that one of the teams playing was Mexico. One can just imagine the excitement at every goal the Mexicans kicked.

Anyway, I had steak with onions, rice and beans and plantain. Extremely good and a lot. Couldn't finish my portion which was a first.

I almost forgot I also had a couple of drinks. First a mango Margarita then a nice glass of sangria. Boy, did I feel good after dinner!

I think now I do like Mexican food.

Other thing

Thinking about my cousin camping out in the wilds of Pennsylvania, without any luxuries of civilization I feel a little guilty. Sitting in my apartment with the airconditioning on while he is out there being eaten by mosquitoes I should feel sorry for him.

But do I?

No comments:

Post a Comment