Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Tuesday

I realized that big stores are just as sneaky as small ones. And by big one I mean Home Depot.

A few days ago we bought linoleum flooring for the kitchen. The kitchen floor now is vinyl tiles that I laid about ten years ago. They were self sticking tiles and it only took a couple of hours to put them down.

This time we wanted linoleum because we thought it looked better. My kitchen is only about 64 square foot area. Yesterday somebody was here to measure the floor area and today I was given the total cost.

The tile was priced at $1.27 per square foot. All material was to cost about $170 but the labor was another $800. Ridiculous, right?

They charged $150 for coming up to the 3rd floor even though we do have elevators, they charged for removal of the existing flooring even though I told them it was not necessary, they charged for moving furniture even though there will be no furniture in the kitchen, they charged for some kind of underthing t when we were told there was no need for such, they charged for correcting the floor because there is an approximately 1/4" dip in the middle of the floor which is not bad for such an aged kitchen

But they insisted that everything needed to be done for a good job. Well, I cancelled the contract and bought three boxes of rectangular floor tiles and I will lay them down. Easier and cheaper.

Tomorrow they are supposed to deliver the new gas oven and the refrigerator and Thursday they are laying the new carpet. Friday lunch with my friends and life goes on.

I'm having a busy week, but I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment