Thursday, March 12, 2015

Florida - 2

So now we are in Daytona Beach, Florida. I have been there once in 1980 or '81 or '82 but just passing through. Never had the chance to look closely at this place. What a lovely location. My G.F. has a condo and that is where we stayed. It is a very nice and comfortable apartment within a condo complex that is in a very good part of the town. It's on the water and the place has a nice swimming pool.

The only problem we had that almost all of Friday it was exceptionally chilly and drizzling. Absolutely not the Florida weather I was expecting. But we still had the chance to drive around and see a lot.

I met her family down there and we had a great meal in the evening in a tropical themed restaurant.

Since this week there is an annual Harley-Davidson gathering there, there were several thousand motorcycle enthusiasts in town. No matter where one went there were cyclists everywhere. On Saturday we had the chance to see one of their parades led by the famous Budweiser horses which I found extremely interesting. Mainly because I have never ever seen anything like this except maybe on television.

Every lodging place had large areas cordoned off for the parking of the motorcycles. In essence the place was not quiet at all. But give credit where credit is due all was very orderly.

Unfortunately although the drizzle stopped the temperature stayed in the lower stratosphere. We did a very long walk on the beach but it was pretty unpleasant.

Saturday night we had a nice family dinner where we ate and drank well.

I have a very good friend who lives on the West coast of Florida and I haven't seen him for quite a while. So on Sunday we went on a three hour drive to visit him and his wife.

Now this day was the way all days should have been. Not a cloud in the sky and very warm. Finally I wore the shorts I took with me with a tee shirt.

We had a great time together. Spent the entire afternoon at his house which is built by a canal and his sailboat is tied up at the back by his dock. We left late and by the time we got home it was almost midnight.

Into bed because the next day was traveling day again.

No comments:

Post a Comment