Saturday, May 17, 2014

Walking With the Enemy

I wrote something earlier today that I planned for tomorrow but this one has to take precedent.

Today I went to the movies. That alone is a very rare thing for me because I do not go to the movies. First, there is no movie worth watching, second it is so expensive that it is not worth it.

But this time I made an exception to my rule. I can do that since it is mt rule.

There is a movie titled Walking With the Enemy that I wanted to see. It happens during World War II and it happens in Hungary. It is about the persecution of Jews by both the Hungarian Nazis and the Germans. As one can guess this is not a happy movie but it is very enlightening. With all the cruelty and killing this not for the faint of heart.

Interestingly the entire subject is about Hungarians, it was filmed primarily in Hungary but there are absolutely no Hungarians playing in it. This is an American production with almost all British cast.

The plot is based on a true story of how Jews were helped to survive the cruelty of the Arrow Cross that were the Hungarian Nazis.

I can understand why the producers did not want any Hungarians in the movie.

Hungarians are such a dirtbag group of people where antisemitism is going from one generation to another through their mothers' milk that they would have forgotten that this was a movie and hoped that the good old days are back.

I am sure that wherever they saw the swastikas and Arrow Cross symbols during the filmings they were nostalgic for that long bygone era.

Miklos Horthy was the regent of Hungary at the time. Actually since 1919. He was no friend of the Jewish people because under his regime that the discrimination against Hungarian Jews started. But in this movie they made him look like a real humanitarian which was obviously not true.

This was a real drama. It is a shame that the way movies are today every film have a very short theater life. I had to go into the Internet to find out where it was being played. But I prevailed.

But I wholeheartedly suggest to anybody who lived through those times or had family effected to go and see this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment