Saturday, May 3, 2014

If a tree falls in a forest...

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" is a philosophical thought.

This is the question that baffled mankind for many years. I have other similar philosophical questions that might not have baffled mankind but they certainly baffled me.

When one drives on the road and gets to an intersection and there is nobody around, meaning no cars, no people and the person wants to make a turn is it necessary to signal?

When one drives on a highway and wants to change lane and there is no car in view anywhere is it necessary to signal?

When one parks into a very tight spot and there is nobody in the car next to his and when he opens his door that door hits the car next to his, does he say "sorry"?

When one backs into a very tight spot and there is nobody sitting in the car behind does he hits that car or try not to?

These are very important questions that affect or driving techniques.

Speaking of driving techniques, I wonder how many of us old time drivers would pass a driving test today. Probably none of us.

I got my drivers license in 1961 and I passed my driving test at the first try. In those days we had to use hand signals. Signals for turning, for slowing down and I don't know for what else. Today there is only one hand signal every driver is familiar with and that one is not using the entire hand. It is using only one finger!

A few years ago I got a ticket from a very "friendly" policeman for making an illegal left turn. I live in this neighborhood for over fifty years and I made thousands of turns at the same spot with no problem.

So this Erich von Stroheim look a like waved me over and asked me if I knew what I was doing. I said no. I was making a left turn in a business district which apparently is illegal in New York City or State. I told him that I was living here longer than he was alive but to no avail. Smilingly he still gave me a ticket.

I fought the ticket and eventually went to traffic court. This jerk of a cop was there with a bundle of tickets. He must have surpassed his quota because in that courtroom almost everybody was his victim. I argued with the judge and eventually I won! But she asked me very interesting question. She asked me how did I get my license if I didn't know that no left turn was permitted in a business district.

That made me think that what do we know of today's driving regulations. All I know is to go forward, park, stop, go, turn and a few equally important things. Oh, yeah, and don't go over the speed limits (by much).





No comments:

Post a Comment