Sunday, May 18, 2014

Growing Old

Just like taxes, one can not escape growing old. Well, it is possible but that is not the recommended way.

Growing old or being old is not the greatest thing in the world. Only in the AARP magazine one can see those stupidly grinning old people who claim that their life is a lot better than when they were younger. If they would pay me I would say those same things, too.

Having an older body is like driving an old car. One waits when and what will be the next thing that breaks down. Oh yeah, and how much it will cost.

The body does not work as well as it should and as it used to even if we don't wan to accept it. Things that were easy to perform now take longer and with more effort or can not be done any longer.

So, the golden years are really marred by rust as I can see from where I sit.

The other thing that made me write this diatribe is something else.

When one, like me, has years behind him he also possesses things that are not entirely new. Now, replacing those things become a major obstacle in life.

I don't remember if I ever mentioned that I have a small Panasonic stereo with two tape players and CD player. This stereo perfectly fits into a glass cabinet where it stays and I am using the remote control to operate it. One day I decided to replace it with a similar but new unit. When I went to a few stores and asked about this type of unit they looked at me with a "hey pop where did you come from" look. They claim they don't make these anymore.

So now one of my missions is to find one like mine somewhere in this world.

Here is another problem. I have two pairs of sheer curtains in my bedroom that were purchased a few years ago. I want to replace those also. I went to JC Penney where the current one were purchased ant tried to buy new ones. Good luck with that!

My problem is that these are pleated and hung from the rod with hooked pins. Well here is another thing they do not make anymore or at least not that I know of. I went to about a half a dozen places and everywhere I got that sorry look that I am getting used to.

My only two choices are keeping the current curtains or take down the original rods and put up the new types that I am convinced will be obsolete in a few years again.

I wonder if I would need a replace part for my body for medical reason would I be told that sorry it was discontinued years ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment