Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day Trip

Today is Tuesday and I had a great day. Today was the first time that I went to a further distance away from home to meet friends.

I have a very great friend whom I know practically from the day I left Hungary. That would be more than 57 years by now and counting.

She is a lovely lady who had her own shares of problems in life and I went to visit her. I had to go to New Jersey southbound from New York and travel on the New Jersey Turnpike. My Google map plotted her place about 99 miles and one and a half hour trip.

In reality it was more than 110 miles and took me well over two hours to get there and I only had one short stop.

But no matter how long the trip was it was worth it. First it was a beautiful day, good for traveling. Second she is a lovely person and I loved and love being in her company. We talked and talked, exchanged miseries and at the end I think we both felt better.

New Jersey Turnpike is not a bad road. Most of the time the speed limit is 65 miles per hour but if one drives "only" at 70 miles per hour he is being pushed off the road. The only thing that makes the trip long and tedious are all the various construction areas where signs advise you to reduce speed to 45 miles per hour. That is not very easy when everybody is flying at 70 plus. So, in the 45 areas speeds are reduced to 65!

The town she lives in is a beautiful little town nestled against the Delaware River. Beautiful and tasteful homes on the waterfront, no McMansions at all.

We had a very pleasant late lunch, talked some more than went back to her house for a little more chatting. After six o'clock I got ready to go home.

I figured by the time I get to New York rush hour would be over and it would be an easy sailing. And exactly that happened. The trip home was not that long, traffic was not existing and 65 miles per hour speed limit was all the way. I put on the cruise control and let the car do what it does best while I took a nap!

Stopped once, ate some and was home by 9:30 in the evening. I know that when I go again, now knowing the route it will take less time.

All in all I had a very good day! I think I deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment