Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day P.S.

This is a post script to my yesterday's Mother's Day observation.

Now that I am writing this the day is almost over. Today my best friend and I went out to the cemetery to visit her parents', grandmother's and my first wife's graves. They are all in one nearby cemetery.

The place was really crowded. Not just because there were Jewish funerals held today but because people came out to ease their consciences. This is the one day when they visit their mothers' and grandmothers' graveside.

This does not apply to us because we do go out fairly regularly. But other people came from Connecticut, New Jersey and who knows from where else. After leaving they feel they did their duties and everything is o.k. for another 364 days.

After the cemetery I had things to do so I went out to Long Island. I had lunch at McDonald's. At that place I even saw a man who took the sacrifice a step further and took his mother out to lunch to McDonald's. Now this was a real good son! I even heard him to ask her if she wanted another milkshake. Real gentleman!

On the way home I saw a guy with some flowers in his hands obviously on the way to good old mom. He had THREE red roses, yes THREE red roses in his hands. And I'm sure he would bring this up later if there is any argument that he brought flowers. What a putz!

This holiday lost its meaning a long time ago. Now it is all commercial. First wherever cars stop there are street vendors selling flowers (at inflated prices). Restaurants changed their regular Sunday menus to special Mother's Day menus. These menus have limited selections at escalated prices. And, if one does not make an arrangement early it is impossible to get in anywhere.

Next week they will roll out the red carpet for anybody who wants to come in. Today, they don't even want to know you.

Just like the taxi drivers. When it is raining they get very selective and rude. When the weather is nice and no rush hour they kiss one's behind to get a fare.

Anyway, I am glad this day is over and we can start to get ready for the next one: Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment