Monday, May 19, 2014

Sunday Again

Today is Sunday and true to tradition I have nothing planned. That meant that today I did just exactly that: nothing!

Well, almost but I still did something that I set out to do about a week ago.

It is May 18, we are deep into Spring and if custom prevails Summer can not be far behind even if our current temperature is only 64 degrees Fahrenheit. That is in the middle of the day, not exactly Spring like.

But regardless one day we'll wake up and the temperatures will be in the 80s and I will not be prepared.

Therefore, true to past practices I decided that today is as good a day as any to review my wardrobe which means put away the winter stuff and take out the summer stuff.

Now living in an apartment we never had the luxury of too much storage space. So we had to improvise. We bought these plastic bags that supposed hermetically close. Placed all the unwanted or unneeded clothing in them, sucked the air out with the help of a vacuum cleaner and placed the bags in places where they were not visible. Like behind a curtain and under the bed.

So, today was the day that I did just that. The change in the routine was that I had to deal with only my stuff which fitted in one solitary bag.

I put away all my ski sweaters, turtle necks, long sleeve polo shirts, other sweaters, heavy warm up pants and some other stuff. Managed to fill the bag pretty well.

Took out all my summer and those are all my short sleeve polo shirts, tee shirts, some shorts and a few other stuff. Separated which go to the cleaners and which can I do in the laundry.

Now I am ready for the summer heatwave. Now that I said that I am sure we will have a blizzard on of these days and I'll be in it with my shorts on.

These hermetically closed plastic bags are great. The bag is huge, suck out the air and it is half the size and stiff as a brick. The problem is that I place it behind the curtain and leave it there but when I look at it again the air is back and the bag is huge and bulging. Like many other things I am convinced this is also a ripoff.

Here is a funny story that I don't know if I ever mentioned it. There was a young Hungarian woman who came out of Hungary many-many years ago. She packed all her belongings in suitcases but in order to be able to put more in she used these plastic bags with the air out.

Upon arriving at JFK in New York she found that all her suitcases were busted open with her clothing all over. What happened was that maybe because of the pressure change these plastic bags opened up in the luggage compartment and forced her suitcases open. She told me that at least she got new suitcases from the airline. Maybe she wasn't such a dummy after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment