Thursday, April 2, 2015

Wednesday

I was in the City, and I mean Manhattan, today to see my doctor. When I go there I like to take the subway. I think it is still the best transportation to most parts of the City. There is no traffic problems, no parking problems and because I travel with a senior citizen card I only pay half price. So, if the train is slow or late I can't complain, I get what I pay for, right?

Anyway, major subway stations are magnets for various types of interesting people. A lot of places are homes to certain types of musicians. Some are good, some are bad. But they are there hoping to make some money.

The transportation authority promotes a program called 'Music under the stars'. The groups that qalify are playing legally and I guess most of them are pretty good. Today I had the opportunity to see one of these groups.

When I entered the Herald Square Station at 34th Street I heard loud but good music and then I saw a fairly large crowd. As curious as I always am I went there to see it.

There were six young man including a drummer. The rest played brass and played very well. They were entertaining and played good music. Their group was called the Lucky Chops and between numbers they collected money, sold CDs and tee shirts. They were nice, clean cut young guys not more than 22-25 years old but played like old pros.

I can not understand why the late night shows that originate from New York don't grab a few of these talents and put them on instead those lame groups they always seem to find. I guess some union rule prevents them from doing it.

This was so far one of the most interesting thing of the day.






No comments:

Post a Comment