Sunday, April 5, 2015

Saturday

Today is Saturday, the day before Easter Sunday and the first day of Passover. Neither has much importance to me but still I do get carried away by this multitude of holidays.

Just to show what an equal opportunity person I am, last night we had a beautiful Seder. Today I am not supposed to eat bread so I'll observe that for a while but not for long. Now, tomorrow is Easter Sunday and my girlfriend will cook a nice ham for me. This will show that I'm not against either holidays but not for each one either.

For me the eating part is the only important factor in them.

Saturdays we usually do our weekly supermarket shopping but this time we will skip it. Last week we bought humongous amounts of stuff and since we have this giant of a refrigerator in the kitchen we really don't need anything. We always do little incidental purchases during the week and that makes it unnecessary to do anything today. So, today is a day of rest.

Later on we probably go to our weekend hideaway in Brooklyn and stay there until Sunday afternoon. I really don't mind this change of pace. Actually I am now looking forward to it.

Another important factor of this weekend is that the Stock Market was closed Friday but sadly it will be open on Monday even though most of the world's markets will be closed. I like it when the New York market is closed because it will not have a chance to crap out like it always does.

This is a weird country. They are so hung up on separating religion from normal life that there is absolutely no religious holidays being observed at all. Christmas in their minds is not a religious holiday.

Even when the rest of the Christian world observes Easter this country shuns it. Good Friday and Easter Monday are nothing as far as they are concerned. The Stock Market is a stand alone entity they call their own shots and that is why they are able to close whenever they want to.

But as they say, love it or leave it. I guess we just have to put up with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment