Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Last Saturday

Saturday started out as a very nice day. The weather was nice and warm and I thought we will have a pleasant day together not doing much of anything useful. But plans have a tendency of changing.

A while back we decided to change the flooring in our kitchen which was to be part of the revamping effort. So we went to Home Deport and bought the flooring material and were looking at it for weeks waiting for it to place itself in the kitchen. That not happening I thought this past Sunday would have been the perfect day to do the job.

My girlfriend suggested to do it on Saturday, so Saturday it was.

I have to explain that some years ago I placed the vinyl tiles and it was a nice and easy effort. They were 12" by 12" pieces, self sticking, easily cuttable therefore easily placeable. That took about two hours to complete.

This time we bought 12"x36" tiles and I figured this was to be even easier because we would have to lay one tile for every three original tiles. How wrong I was!

These were not self sticking, they needed a sticky gook on the floor and it was very difficult to cut them. Two of us worked over four hours on that damn floor with my girlfriend doing most of the work and me only assisting.

Yet when it was over we both hurt like hell from the bendings, kneelings and cuttings. In addition, that gook we put under the tiles kept coming up between the joints and stuck to the soles of our feet and messed up everything from floor to doorknobs.

Yesterday, Sunday we really hurt all over our bodies. That was when the pain really started to surface. Even though I was the kibitz I hurt in places I never knew existed much less can hurt.

Today is Monday and I spent the better part of the morning cleaning up that damn floor. The gook keeps coming up it doesn't want to dry and everywhere I step I stick to the floor.

I'm getting pretty sick of this masterpiece. I just hope that by tomorrow things will get a little more civilized and the kitchen will be as it should.

Hopefully, I won't have to do this too many more times in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment