Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Operetta

There is an old theater in Budapest called the Operetta Theater of Budapest where they only play musicals or rather operettas. Hungarian theater scene is never lacking good operettas. Both of Hungarian origin or adopted from foreign languages.

I think it opened around 1923 or about and it is a very beautiful old style theater. I love going there and at every visit to Budapest I make sure I go and see at least one show.

This time it will be no exception because thanks to the Internet I just bought two tickets to a real Hungarian operetta. I am absolutely not interested to see the Hungarian version of a Broadway show and because of that I am always looking for something Hungarian.

Ticket prices are pretty expensive by their standard but very, very affordable for us.

In these old fashioned theaters, like in the Opera House there is always a so called royal box in the middle of the first balcony. That they don't sell , it is kept for dignitaries. But left and right are very good boxes that are comfortable with great views of the stage and private. These are the boxes I like.

The first time we sat there, years ago I was very surprised when in intermission we were very politely directed to a private room where every box had a separate table with finger sandwiches and all kinds of refreshments. Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Oh, and that room had separate bathrooms so there was no need to stand on line with the crowd.

And all this was included with the ticket price.

After this first time experience I always made a successful effort to secure our tickets in that area. This time was no exception. I got two tickets to the box next to the royal box and we also will have access to the private room.

And all this for $57 for two tickets. Now is this a bargain or is this a bargain?

No comments:

Post a Comment