Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Monday

Frequently I amaze myself at how intelligent and knowledgeable I am. And this time was no exception.

As I mentioned Yesterday we were out at Manhattan Beach. The area is well known for its saturation of Russian people. Not necessary Jewish but Russian of all religions. So yesterday I was standing at the water and watching the people walk up and down at this bayside promenade when I noticed that many of them were carrying palm branches in their hands.

This puzzled me being Easter Sunday but I thought it might have been a Russian custom. Until a light went on in my brain and I realized that according to the Russian Orthodox calendar yesterday was Palm Sunday. Then it all made sense and suddenly I was very proud of myself.

Next Sunday, the 12th will be their Easter Sunday and I am curious to see if they will go and walk around dressed nicely as they did it yesterday on Fifth Avenue. This particular area is very picturesque and I can not imagine a nicer location than this to walk around in a nice Spring weather.

I also had a chance to visit a very nice local Russian supermarket. Most of the workers are Russian speaking as well as the costumers but the workers all speak English.

One advise, don't go in hungry! Everything look so appetizing that it is hard to resist. All the breads look fresh and tasty. The cold cuts are in a large variety and unbelievably good. Hands down better than any American supermarket. There are also the usual staple of American brands but they pale in comparison to their own.

At closer look one finds that most of the Russian labeled items are made in the US but still just the packaging make it all the more appetizing. And I said it before that even the unknown or unusual is better than the old being used to stuff.

There are no more Hungarian meat stores in New York but at this point I really don't need them, I have the Russians.

No comments:

Post a Comment