Saturday, November 8, 2014

Friday

I have a very dear friend whom I know at least for fifty-five years. Unfortunately his wife passed away bout ten years ago and now he lives alone. He is over his nineties and trying to manage life on his own.

Well, there are problems with that. He has some kind of balance problem and because of it he occasionally falls. Every time he falls, ambulance takes him to a nearby hospital from where he goes to a rehab place. There he stays for about three or four weeks then returns home and unfortunately the cycle repeats itself. Does not want to hear about going into a home, at least not just yet, because he wants to keep his independence. He has a car but can not drive it anymore since he is too week to stand and keep his balance.

He has no family, no offsprings the only thing he has is his friends and memories.

I try to visit him every week and it feels like it is becoming "Tuesdays with Morrie". But I love the guy, we have been friends for a very long time and this is the least I can do for him. I feel extremely sorry for him. He lives alone, I live alone and this way we can commiserate together. Even though we have a little of an bit age gap we still share a lot of memories.

So, I was with him this afternoon and had a fairly pleasant visit. The only sad thing is looking at him and thinking ahead and asking myself: is this what's in the wings in the years to come?

This is a terrible and sad way to finish one's life! My original hope was a lot better. Be in a plane crash and get things over with quick and fast!

I know I sound a little morbid but I can't help it. Visiting somebody like that leaves me in a psychological dungeon. But I guess I better get used to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment