Saturday, December 19, 2015

Clocks and Words.

I love timepieces and mainly clocks. Just to be fair I do have an egg timer that works with sand in an hourglass but they do not have the same effect on me as clocks have.

In this apartment we have clocks wherever one looks. Clocks on tables, in the glass cabinet, on my desk, standing on the floor and on walls.

We have an old wind up pendulum clock that I just would love to see works. But my wife says that it ding-dongs every half hour including the right time on the hour. I just can't imagine my neighbors if that clock would start chiming around four in the morning. They probably would call the cops. We have another real old wall mounted clock that is right now not showing time. This one is old so naturally it is a wind up clock. It hangs in a very centery location and I constantly look at it. My wife says we can not use it because it is extremely noisy but if I want to be up all night feel free to wind it up.

I can just see myself next Spring when all these clocks will have to be turned back an hour.

Something else.

In the course of writing this and all previous blogs I invent words. I don't think there is anything wrong with that since we "writers" or word smiths have the right to do whatever we want with the words available to us.

A few lines up I wrote the word centery. Some people might not understand what I meant for this word but I couldn't find any better expression to show where that old clock is located.

I think that us for whom English is a second language are much better equipped to use the richness of the language and its possibilities than those for whom English is their native language.

And if one speaks it with an accent more power to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment