Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December 1, 2009

Today is the first day of December. It supposed to be the beginning of winter or at least wintry weather. But nothing. The temperature didn't even get to below 40 degrees yet.

I love snow, I love skiing and I like winter with its accompanying cold. So, I'm kind of getting impatient. Will we have a winter this year?

If not then all the leaves fell off the trees for nothing.

Last weekend we visited a large shopping mall that has a small ice skating rink in the middle. It is artificial ice naturally, but in spite of the way above freezing temperature it was open.

Kids galore were there. All they were doing was going around and round. You look at it, it looks silly. I even remarked what a waste of time and energy.

But then, I remembered!

When I was a teenager I had a very close friend, the same one I couldn't identify at the Waldorf Astoria, with whom I went ice skating almost every day.

The city had a large outdoor rink with artificial ice. This was a serious place, they held hockey games there, figure skating tournaments and still allowed the public to skate.

We had our parents buy us season passes so we felt really cool.

Neither of us knew how to skate really well but we still liked to do it. Why, you ask? I tell you why, because of the girls.

This was the beginning of the raging hormones era. We knew girls were different from boys. We were also convinced that if we knock a girl over on the ice she would instantly fall in love with us because this is what real man do.

So, we went around and around day after day and while we were searching for the elusive love of our life we had a great time. We met with friends there (boys only), we were out in the fresh air, we involuntarily exercised and we always had a great time.

Thinking back now I can understand these kids who go to these rinks and as dumb as it looks they still manage to have a great time.

Here, kids go in jeans, sweaters and other warm clothes. In those days we put on a dress jacket, shirt, slacks meanwhile hiding all warm clothing underneath.

We were convinced that showing that we were cold was not cool.

1 comment:

  1. One of the ideas was to trip up a girl with one of us nearby to help her to her feet and make the connection. The other was two of us going up to a girl and one of us say, I introduce my friend XY, and then leave. However once I was approached by a girl, saying a girl there would like to meet me. The girl turned out to be Ildiko and very nice. It was my first love. I still remember her fondly, I even remember where she lived. Sadly there is not an awful lot more to remember.

    ReplyDelete