Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December 2, 2009

Last night President Obama spoke to the people from the West Point Military Academy. The subject of his speech was the sending of additional troops to Afghanistan.

Naturally we watched the speech in its entirety.

A few things come to mind even though I am not criticizing his speech. I don't know the details, I don't know what's behind door number one.

But!

As I wrote in November 24 why should we care about a country that in reality don't care about us or anything else. A country that has a government that is corrupt to the bone. A government that will surely fall after the Americans leave. And I agree with Senator McCain who said exactly that last night.

The leadership there, the warlords' only aim is to get fat off the Americans at any cost. They would sell their soul to the Taliban if riches are promised.

This morning on the radio they interviewed an older veteran. His comment was, we don't belong there, we have no business being there. Get out and bring the troops home. I think he was right.

As I was sitting in front of the TV watching the speech I was looking at the faces of all those young men and women in the audience. These are the people whose life is at stake when there is talk about war. Any war anywhere in the world.

I am sure when they signed up to be in the military and chose this career they didn't think their lives would be the pawn in the hands of the politicians.

Yes, a career in the military comes with a certain danger. But not at this magnitude we are witnessing today.

Those bright eyed young people in the audience didn't show the enthusiasm I was expecting. It was more of a restrained or rather polite response to the President's speech.

OK, after the speech he shook hands with the cadets, took photographs with them. That's all nice and kind of necessary. He is the Commander-In-Chief after all.

But somehow the whole thing had the appearance of the roman gladiators who went out into the arena knowing only a few would survive but still showed a brave demeanor.

Thank God I'm old.

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree with you.
    We have no reason to be there.
    The faster we get out the better our lives will be here and abroad

    ReplyDelete