Friday, December 11, 2009

December 11, 2009

I have an HP laptop computer. We bought it at the end of 2006, so it is now three years old. We are really not exposing it to hard work. Games, news, various Internet surfing. These thing should not stress out a good computer.

Last year about this time we received a communication from HP that our service contract was about to expire and they presented us with three options for renewal.

After talking to some expert in Mumbai we agreed on the plan we chose. This plan was to provide telephone consultation as well as repair to the laptop.

This came very handy because during the year we had a problem that was not solvable on the phone thus the laptop was Fed Exed to HP's repair facility then repaired and returned with no cost to us.

This service contract cost us something like $230 for the year but I am convinced it was worth it.

I rather pay for such insurance and have no need for it than have a problem and not knowing where to turn.

So, this year, like clockwork we got the notification from HP that our service contract is about to expire and here are our options.

When I read it I noticed that all our options are one. It's called telephone consultation (with somebody in Mumbai no doubt).

I thought they left out the rest of the options. I called the number given and inquired. The guy on the other end, again in Mumbai, asked me how old is the laptop. I told him it is three years old.

He informed me that it is an old computer as far as they are concerned and they are offering only that service.

Now, what am I supposed to do? Throw it out and buy a new one every three years or wait until it develops a problem and pay to the nose for repair?

Do they see upcoming troubles that make the service contract unprofitable? Do they expect the computer to start breaking down?

Or this is how they want to keep selling the newer models? I know people who have computers for eight - ten years with no problems whatsoever. I am hoping for the best.

This is similar to what they do to cars. I remember that some years ago the car headlights were round. Then one year the auto makers decided to come forward in the new models with rectangular headlights.

This little addition made all the previous models out of style. People hate to drive in out of style cars. They just get conscious about it. I'm not saying everybody ran out and bought a new car but some people made an effort to stay with the times.

It's the same with fashion. One year it is the long skirt, then the mini then the midi then back to something else.

I guess this is what makes the world go round. Constant change.

It's a good thing I am not following the trend too much.

Can you imagine if I had a nose job, that is to have my nose made smaller. Then in a few years large noses become the trend. I would have been hard pressed to find the missing pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I am surprised you expect appliances, like microwave to last more than a few years! They are not supposed to. Just be patriotic and replace all you gadgets every 3-5 years and prevent companies going bust. And as long as you speak to people in Mumbai and not in a village in India, feel priveleged!Mumbai is an expensive town, full of clever people. Not long ago it had the highest office rents in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you remember Howard Johnson, they had 27 different flavors of ice cream. Why? Because people have different ideas.

    Now take for instance me. I do not buy any extended warranties. Not even for my cars.

    Any appliance, TV phone once it breaks, it is for the trash man. Our luck is unpredictable. My cars last for about 10 years, washer drye about 10-15 years, refregirator 20-25 years, VCR 10 months to 2 years (very bad) and finally light bulbs two weeks to one month.


    Pajamas 20 years or until Dolores confiscate them

    ReplyDelete