Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December 16, 2009

New York City has about 8.6 million residents. I don't know the ratio but I'm sure most of them live in apartments. The same must be around all metropolitan areas.

There are about 308 million people living in the United States. And I'm sure a very large number of them live in apartments in multi dwelling apartment houses.

Yet, every commercial I see on television or hear on the radio is geared toward the home owner.

From waterproofing through mulch, planting, cutting trees, replacing siding, repaving the driveway and installing a 60" home theater in the play room are all aimed at the homeowner.

I live in an apartment. I don't care about mulch, driveway, planting and cutting trees. If I want to install a 60" home theater I would need to rent out the next apartment, break the walls and create a sports arena size room.

As an apartment dweller the only interest I have is how to increase my storage space. As the saying goes: how to put ten pound s..t in a five pound bag. Anything else is no interest to me.

But we are of no interest to the advertisers. They are so much geared to the home owners that they are neglecting a very large percentage of the public.

I feel sided. Why Extreme Makeover: Home Edition can not come to my home, throw out the furniture, rebuild the kitchen and bathroom and create a brand new abode?

I tell you why. Because they can not place a camera crew and a hundred workers into the apartment at the same time or any time. Because of this little detail I am being discriminated against.

===========================

I always wondered what drives advertisers to spend their money on advertisements.

I can see a particular product being advertised because a certain social group will take advantage of such information.

Target advertises Christmas sales, Walmart advertises Christmas sales, Macy's advertises Christmas sales, Nieman-Marcus will not advertise Christmas sales.

The Target, Walmart and Macy's public are not necessarily from the same neighborhoods. They are probably not from the same financial situation either.

The Nieman-Marcus crowd supposed to be way above all the others. Their store is not advertising because they feel their merchandise will sell no matter what their prices are.

This reminds me, that many years ago Gucci's store on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue used to close for lunch, as many stores did in Europe. Their uppity attitude was that if you can only shop in our store during your lunch break we don't want your business. We are not for you and you are not for us.

This whole article was prompted by me hearing a Rolex, a Tag Heuer and a Patek Philippe commercial on the radio.

Can one imagine Donald Trump or Mike Bloomberg running out to the businesses that advertised and buy one of these watches. Only they and similar people can afford these and they will certainly not going to buy because there are good deals waiting.

How come we don't see any Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley or any other similar cars advertised? I would love to see a good deal on a Bentley!


1 comment:

  1. Dont knock houses against apartments. The house is our castle and it has many advantages. I will not detail them, but let me say, most English aspire to them.

    ReplyDelete