Monday, November 30, 2009

November 30, 2009

Yesterday I wrote about cars or at least about my car stories. Today I will write more about cars.

It's a good subject, we all have cars and we all drive.

But now, I want to address the size of cars here in the US.

Last Summer when we were on vacation we rented a Hyundai Accent. The car was perfect for our purposes: to drive around the island, to go shopping, sight seeing and restaurants. Even our luggage fitted perfectly. It was a small car but it never seemed too small for us.

Yesterday we were driving here on a parkway and there was a Hyundai Accent front of us. I have to tell you that was one small car! I told my wife I never realized how small that car was. Maybe it didn't seem that way at the time we rented one because most of the other cars were small.

Just like with our 42" TV. In the showroom next to all the others it didn't appear large at all. But at home...

OK back to the cars. That little Hyundai goes a million miles with a tank of gas. It's economical for sure. All smaller cars are economical. In Europe we saw so many different brands, all nice and small and not gas guzzlers.

So, why we are not happy to drive these smaller cars here when we could save a bundle on gas?

For two reasons.

One for status. People have the tendency to look down on a person who drives a small car. Like a Ford Focus or a Hyundai Accent or any other brand. Except maybe a Ferrari, but then there are not too many of those around here.

The other reason is safety. You drive on the highway with all these 18 wheelers going 70-80 miles per hour bearing down on anybody in their way, their draft practically blowing any smaller car off the road. It doesn't give you the safe feeling it should.

I drive an SUV. A few years ago I was driving home on the New York State Thruway in very heavy traffic. It was stop and go for a long while. At one point someone stopped dead front of me so I also had to step on the brake.

Well, the car behind me hit me in the rear fairly strongly. You can imagine in the middle of the Thruway this was not a very comfortable situation. We both got out of our respective cars and surveyed the damages. The other car was a small Subaru, mine was a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The result of the survey was that my car didn't have a scratch however, the other car's front rolled up like a sardine can. He couldn't drive it because the engine was also damaged.

This story was just to underline the fact why larger cars are or at least give you the feeling of safety.

This is a huge country. People drive enormous distances. While in Europe one travels through six countries and languages and cultures, here doing the same distance we are still in the same state.

We all want to be in a car that we feel will protect us in case of danger. I firmly believe cars have souls. If one is good to his car it will protect its owner in return.

That's why I always say "good morning" to my car so it wouldn't get a hissy fit later.

2 comments:

  1. Mhhhhh....hissy fit ......... very girly boy like

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we can manage, I would like to replace my other halfs car, a Honda Jazz, with a Hyundai I10, which is about the size of the Accent. It has brilliant reviews, 5 year guarantee and the Hyundai garage is about 6-7 minutes walk to us. many small cars have the maximum safety scores now by the way. To have streetcredibility or status symbol you have to have a German car. (Contrary to popular beleif, they are not reliable compared with the Far Eastern cars.)Needless to say, jews are the best customers. As far as I am concerned, I enjoy driving small cars more than large ones. (Petrol is about £1 a gallon by the way.) (You are learning some English expressions now) parking is esier, you spend less on petrol etc. We used to run a Rolls Royce as a third car years ago. In a way enjoyed it, but lost some friends. Even if I could afford it now, I honestly would not have one. Now a Bugatti, Konigseeg, or a Maserati maybe as an extra car, but not for every day.
    Some weeks ago I was cught exceeding the speed limit. (38 mph instead of 30) To avoid points on my license I will have a Speedawareness Course in January.)
    By now you must be regretting starting the blog so I sign off.

    J

    ReplyDelete