Friday, November 20, 2009

November 20, 2009

I heard an advertisement today on the radio for B&H Photo which I found kind of curious.

B&H Photo is in Manhattan on the West Side on 34th Street. The store is selling all kinds of electronic stuff not only photo items as its name implies. Their prices are good and sometime negotiable.

Just for information, they are orthodox Jews.

They were in the news the other day because they don't hire women. As far as I know the orthodox don't mingle with women. They are OK as costumers and wives but I guess they don't want to work with them.

I remember seeing special buses coming into Manhattan from Brooklyn with a divider hanging on a clothesline in the middle of the bus separating the men from the women.

Now, I am Jewish. I have nothing against the religion but I have everything against ancient costumes forced on people. This is the 21st Century. It's time to go with the flow.

The Amazon Indians live in the stone age but that is understandable. Orthodox Jews live in this country, in the middle of one of the greatest cities of the world, but they insist to live in the Middle Ages.

The Pennsylvania Dutch live the same way but at least they live practically isolated from society.

The zinger that made me write this was the B&H Photo advertisement today saying that they will be open on Thanksgiving Day from 10 am to 6 pm.

I find this very disturbing. Thanksgiving was historically a religious holiday to give thanks to God. But Thanksgiving is not a Christian religious holiday. It's a holiday for ALL denominations. We give thanks to God for everything we received and for our lives.

And, orthodox Jews should not feel exempt from this. If they are Americans they should celebrate with the rest of the Nation. All businesses close on that day. There is absolutely no reason to be open and force others, maybe non-Jew employees to work. However, if they don't feel like Americans, put a sign outside and announce it.

I heard that in Israel they don't acknowledge the existence of the Jewish state. They live separately, they don't contribute to the well being of the country. But that's their homeland and it's their affair.

Here, in the US it's our affair. This country requires certain respect from its citizens. Whoever don't like it, hey there is a plane leaving from JFK every few minutes.

Again, I am Jewish and I can say whatever I feel.

P.s.:
The orthodox young man is getting ready for his wedding. He asks his rabbi:

- Rabbi, is it true that it is forbidden at the wedding for men to dance with women?
- Yes, because if they dance together it will lead to temptation.
- Then, even I can not dance with my own wife?
- No - says the rabbi.
- And what is the situation with sex on our wedding night? Is that permitted?
- Yes, naturally. The purpose of marriage is the creation of the next generation.
- In every position?
- Naturally!
- Even if the woman is on the top?
- Sure, why not?
- Even if totally naked?
- Yes, of course!
- Even on the table?
- Why not?
- What about in a standing position?
- Oh, no! That is not permitted!
- Why not?
- Because that may lead to dance...

1 comment:

  1. Valid comment! I presume you have muslim shopkeepers too. Have you checked whether they open on Thanksgiving Day. Bet they do also.

    ReplyDelete