Monday, November 16, 2009

November 18, 2009

I retired from work in March of 2007. Up to that time I worked almost continuously for 50 years in this country. In Europe prior to coming to the US, I worked for two years. So, I did enough, it was time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

But there is problem with them fruits!

You look at the AARP magazine or any publication that deals with retirement you see these smiling, no care in the world silver haired healthy, young looking people who are enjoying every minute of their retirements. They fish, they dance, they travel, they have non stop sex, they live in beautiful communities in beautiful houses surrounded by similar beautiful people.

But there is another side of that coin.

The bottom fell out of the economy in late 2007. Everything that was good and promised to remain good went sour. We suddenly found ourselves living off a reduced income. Our investments lost their value and suddenly things started to look really gloomy.

Suddenly you find yourself at home with no place to go, nothing to do. Well, there are things to do but no matter where you turn it costs money. Life now seems to cost more than when one worked.

When I went to work I sat in the office all day and worked. With the exception of the train rides and lunch there was no money spent. Now, when one is home it doesn't matter where he goes it cost money.

You use more electricity, in the summer you use the air conditioner all day. You use the car all day, therefore the gasoline bill is higher. If you eat out lunch costs more than a lunch at work.

I am too old to start something new but too young to sit home and do nothing. Nobody in this world will hire a 70+ person no matter how healthy one is unless one wants to work for Walmart or such place.

Some people say look, you can travel whenever and wherever you want. Sure, if travel would be free.

Since my wife is also retired we spend our time together. And, thank God we get along very well. I agree to everything this way there are no arguments. It seem to work.

But living off a fixed income is not easy. As time goes by the cost of everything rise but the income shrinks. So, you learn to cut corners. Unnecessary things are out. Splurging is history.

We play the Lotto. And dream that maybe one day we get lucky.

Since I am at home during the day I see a lot of people who don't work and a lot of older people who I assume are retired. The retired ones don't look very happy at all. They certainly are not the beautiful people.

These people are suffering. They are suffering from boredom, from loneliness from lack of money. Loneliness is probably the worst enemy.

Why everybody thinks that when a person reaches 70-72 years his brain goes to mush? Those people are still sharp, smart and have more experience than any 35 year old. I mentioned 35 year olds because those are the ones replacing the "old" people.

OK, maybe a 72 year old doesn't have a 15 year plan to stay and work but the years he would work would worth a lot.

Today's society is not doing anything towards letting people work as long as they want to. They turn a blind eye because they say the young generation have to work, also.

Maybe turning old people into soylent green is not so far fetched an idea.

3 comments:

  1. As far as I am concerned the above blog,is so true, look at the younger generation,pitiful, they are so full of themself. Our generation was more normal,we dd not take everything for granted. My husband and I can compete with any generation anytime. We have respect for any age,for the people,and all we want in return is the same!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put! In England even voluntary work can become a problem. The paid workers are jealous and can also look down on the volunteers. State pensions are a joke. The two pensions are about enough to run one car and we need two as we are both independent and do voluntary work in different places. The yearly increase in state pension is eanbling us to buy three extra loaf of bread a week. Like you we spend more than while working as you cannot watch tv all the time. Everything else is extra expense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well here is your problem.
    I am aslo retired and I am really happy that I do not have to go to the hell hole where I did work for 30 years.
    Here is my solution. My wife.
    She loves her job, hates to be home with me, so she is working and no retirement is in her mind and she is 69. Now you can send your wife out to work that will cut down on your expenses give you time to do what YOU want and when. You ask where can she find a job? Wallmart, Home Depot Macys etc. The money she will earn will buy you dinner twice a week, now there is a PLAN> ???

    ReplyDelete