Friday, November 6, 2009

November 6, 2009

Today I want to say something about the dirtiest word in the dictionary.

And, it happens to be DIET!

This word has two meanings.

One is
, a formal deliberative assembly called Diet in Japan and Germany and some other European countries.

The other is more serious meaning: not eating the food you really like is called Torture or in other word Diet.

Everybody diets in this world. You turn on the TV or radio and all you hear is what not to eat and how everything we really like will eventually will kill us.

I grew up in Europe. I loved my Mother's cooking. I thought it was the best there was in this world. Well, I still think that way.

I had breakfast at home, something about mid-morning in school, a hot lunch around 2 o'clock, something lite around 5 o'clock then dinner when my Father got home from work.

Never lacked for food. And, I was never fat or even slightly overweight. Nobody ever talked about giving up your favorite foods because they may cause, diabetes, obesity, heart problems, liver problems, skin problems, dandruff or anything else.

O.k. I came from Hungary where pastry rules, besides good wine. The per-capita pastry consumption there probably exceeds the rest of the world combined. But no one ever said to eat lo-fat, sugar-free cakes or any other kind of pastry. That would probably be sacrilegious.

I grew up, my parents and grandparents grew up, my friends grew up and everybody was happy. Well, as far as our stomachs were concerned.

There were days when my Mother made something that I loathed to eat but had no choice. Thinking back it was only because I was a spoiled brat.

Until today I still love good Hungarian food even though I am totally used to the American kitchen.

In 2000 my cousin/best friend and I went to Budapest for two weeks sans wives. It was meant to be a nostalgic retracing of our youthful escapades. Well, besides that it turned out to be a two week eating orgy. We ate in the morning we ate at noon, we ate dinners. And in between if there was a pastry shop along our "retracing" we stopped there for a 'little pick me up'.

Curiously, neither of us gained a pound. It was because we walked hours on end throughout our old neighborhoods.

But man, it was fantastic!

That's all a fond memory now.

At this time I am on a strict diet. Not that I mind but it is necessary. I'm not working anymore, I'm at home a lot so it is inevitable that a person gains weight. That's what I want to prevent at any price.

My wife cooks very well. And very healthy, too. She's watching my diet like a hawk. I know that she knows more about these things than I do because I'm a weakling when it comes to food so I trust her implicitly.

My cousin loves to eat. Being the same age as I am he is in the same boat. Watching his weight. I remember that years ago in the pre-diet era he loved to stuff himself with stuffed cabbage. I mean good Hungarian stuffed cabbage. And, always got sick from it afterward. But when it was over he always said it was worth it.

Everyday they come out with something that will eventually kill us. I always thought diet soda was nothing but colored water. Now, the are saying the stuff in that is harmful also. This is in addition to everything else that is already harmful to us.

We should check out what goats live on because I have never ever saw a fat goat.


No comments:

Post a Comment