Friday, November 27, 2009

November 27, 2009

Well, Thanksgiving is over. I'm glad. I used to like it when I worked because this provided a nice long four day weekend. But now it doesn't make any difference.

When one is retired it doesn't make any difference if it is Thanksgiving, Christmas or just any Wednesday.

But anyway I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon. No bah humbug stuff.

We had a lovely dinner with Family. But...we broke with tradition and did not have turkey. I know that this is un-American but what we had was so good that it was worth it.

My wife decided that instead that bird she would do another bird. We had Hungarian chicken paprikash. That was so good that I can not begin to explain it. It was also a huge success.

Chicken paprikash is one of those Hungarian dishes that are like me. They get better with time!

Fortunately some left for us for the next few days so, I'm happy.

==========================

Today is Black Friday. We decided to do supermarket shopping today instead of Saturday figuring everybody is at the malls and there would be nobody at the supermarket. We were right. The store was well stocked and uncrowded.

On the way we stopped at our usual DSW. For those of the uninformed that is a huge discount shoe store. This store usually has fairly good merchandise at acceptable discounts. They were advertising Gucci bags at 50% discount as the big item for today.

We checked them out just out of curiosity. The stuff was such a crap it was unbelievable. Their 50% prices were between $250 and $350.

The only reason they were so expensive because they had the Gucci name on them. Big deal!

I'm convinced that this stuff is a different line created for discount stores, malls and such. I'm also convinced one can buy a knock off on Orchard Street for $29.95 that looks a lot better than this.

It warmed my innards that nobody was buying this stuff while we were there.

===========================

Correction to something I wrote the day before yesterday. Next Monday is not Hi Tech Monday. It is Cyber Monday.

If I'm complaining about something at least lets be accurate about it.

2 comments:

  1. You know how to hurt your friend. We did have turkey, not my favorate. The gulyas would have been much better. We are waiting for the boys to arrive, around 8:00 PM for the weekend. Resting is for Monday.
    Oh by the way MY SON threw away the carcas much to my wifes' horror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to sell Gucci bags. many of them were manufactured by small workshops in Tuscany and were nothing terrific, but good quality and they sold extremely well. Could tell you interesting stories about the company. Also about Dior and Fendi. However for fakes head for Canal Street and not Orchard Street. Horrible area. Best fakes copies are made in Thailand and Korea. Could tell you interesting stories about fakes too.

    ReplyDelete