Friday, October 10, 2014

Museums

I love to go to museums but in the past several years I had no chance to visit any of the great New York museums. The reason for that was that my wife had a great problem walking because of a torn meniscus in Her knee. So we didn't go.

But in the past few weeks because I had these visitors I had the opportunity to visit four great museums.

The first was the Cloisters. This museum is part of The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. It is in Uptown Manhattan on a hillside, overlooking the Hudson River with fabulous views and is built in the style of medieval architecture. The building was was very interesting, but its contents less so. For me, anyway.

The museum's contents are mainly religious art from the Middle Ages. And I was not in the mood at all for looking at any kind of art glorifying religion. But did my best and went through.

After this one I visited the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadow Park where the two New York World's Fairs were held. This is a very nice building that used to be an ice skating rink but it did not have much to show as far as a museum. One of the few really interesting thing was a small scale panoramic view of New York City with its five boroughs. As far as I know it is as accurate as possible. I even found the street and the house I live in.

Aside from this the museum also has memorabilia from the 1939 and 1964 World's Fairs. Since I worked on the construction of the 1964 Fair the later one was more interesting to me.

After the Queens Museum I visited the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in Midtown Manhattan (not on the same day). Now this was a little more interesting. I admit I am not much of a fan of the very modern art (like a bicycle wheel hanging from the ceiling) but thankfully I did see plenty of beautiful paintings from very famous artists. Therefore this visit was really worth it.

I also had the chance to go to the Guggenheim Museum on another day which due to the building is a treat by itself. Unfortunately the spiral terrace was closed due to some alteration work but we still had the chance to see a lot of beautiful art pieces.

Now, after being in four museums I think I fulfilled my quota for a while. My mind is so filled with culture now that it has to take a break now.

Maybe when I go to Europe next year I'll have a chance to soak up a little more culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment