Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Modern Life

I keep telling myself that I am up to snuff with most of the things in life. I don't dwell in the future, I try to think modern, I don't crucify people for their acts or believes (except Facebook).

I have an HD television, I have a laptop computer and a tablet and I also have a fairly latest cell phone. Now what else is missing from my life?

Well, I don't volunteer for paperless billings. Every bill I receive each month (and I do get plenty) asks if I wish to change over to electronic and paperless billing where I will "only" have to give them my bank account number and they will take care of the rest.

Not in my lifetime, Bucky!

Unless it is absolutely necessary like my health insurance premiums I will only permit electronic deposits but no withdrawals.

Now that I leased a new car, the company I have to forward the payments to is after me to do the monthly payment electronically. The mobil telephone company, the car insurance company and my utility company are after me to do the payments electronically.

Every time I listen to the news all I hear is identity theft or computer hacking and stealing account numbers. I'll be damned if I will send my bank account numbers to all these companies and thus have it plastered all over the Internet.

I am really concerned about protecting my privacy and my money. Who else will protect it if not me?

The other thing is that I am kind of old fashioned. I like (not really) to write checks and send them out in the mail.

And I also like to receive mail even if only bills. But think about it for a moment. If everybody would do their bill paying electronically how many people would be out of jobs.

First the timber men because there would be less trees needed for paper, then the printers who print the bills, then the mail carriers and the stamp sellers and finally the people who open the envelopes and log in what was paid and by who.

So as you can see if I keep paying by check I am really helping the economy.

Obama should be proud of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment