Thursday, October 16, 2014

Health Insurance

About a week ago I received a notice from the company I retired from that my medical insurance coverage will be discontinued as of January 1, 2015.

To be a little more explanatory, I am receiving retiree coverage (a supplemental coverage) through my former employer but I pay the monthly premiums. Probably what I pay is a group rate and thus less than an individual policy. The company decides what insurance company will be used and usually that is the same for employees and retirees. So far that was never any problem.

In the past 47 years that I was affiliated with the company I didn't have to do any thinking on this subject, all decisions were made by my employer. And as far as I was concerned that was good!

Now that is changing and that is not that good.

Suddenly I am finding myself out in the cold and that scares me. I am sure it was a business decision from the company's side but they are making it sound like it is for our benefit and we will fare better this way.

BULL ..IT!

There are several thousand retired employees from this company and they all have to go out and search for health coverage.

In this country there is no trouble or problem that somebody would not profit from it. My company hired an outfit that supposed to help us, individually, with the transition. I am having an appointment with an advisor for a telephone conference on Friday morning. At that time the person on the other end will tell me what she thinks I should do, what insurances are available for me.

Thanking Fate I am doing all right at this time. But at this age I should not be surprised if problems arise. If I didn't have health insurance I would be on the street after my Wife's long illness.

The way the stock market is behaving I'll be on the street anyway but that's another story.

I still think that is a dirty trick the company is doing. They are practically telling their current employees that once they get old and retire the company will not care about them any longer.

And the sad thing is they can get away with whatever policy changes they want to do.

Nice country, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment