Sunday, April 20, 2014

Weird Hungarian Food

Like I mentioned the last time we Hungarians do eat a few weird foods. Well, at least that I know of. I am sure other nationalities have their own weird food menus but those I am not concerned with now.

The reason for the weird foods are probably economical. In my childhood when my mother went to the market she bought live chickens that were killed in our kitchen. Since the whole chicken was there most of it had to be eaten since it was paid for. So, after cleaning it, it was cut up and prepared different ways.

I remember when my mother made chicken soup from most of the chicken she had the head and legs for herself. I always thought it was because she liked them. Later she told me when she visited here in the US that the reason was because she gave the good parts to my father and me.

Speaking of the chicken, eggs were a luxury in some post war years so it was frequently that we found developing eggs inside the hen. They tasted very good in the soup but if they had hard shells it was real win.

Another thing I really liked was the gizzard from the chicken. Cooked thoroughly in the soup they tasted good.

Few years ago my wife and I visited Hungary and while in Budapest we visited a market in Central Budapest. This market was mostly a tourist attraction which meant they had a lot of food and interesting food.

We stopped at a butcher stand and while looking we inquired at the butcher about some of the items in the display case. One was explained to be calf face. It looked disgusting but we were told people did buy it.

In a glass bowl we did see some white round shaped things that we asked about. We were told they were rooster testicles. Yuk!

After asking later some other acquaintances it seemed they were fairly well known even if we never ever heard about them. They are to be eaten fried. I don't think I'll ever eat them knowingly. I guess until one knows what one is eating it is o.k. But when one finds out what that thing is when that thing becomes inedible.

I also like calf (I think) brains. Mixed with eggs it is really good. Years ago there was a Hungarian restaurant where they served it as an appetizer. Now, I don't know any place that have it.

My mother used to make a dish called sour lung. It was from pig lung and I loved it. I have no clue how to make it but I do not even think one can get that stuff here in New York.

As I noted yesterday, I had marrow at dinner. It is very good. It is from the leg bone of the cow and it has to be cooked well and then it is very tasty. There is a trendy restaurant in Budapest where they serve it as an appetizer with toast (not cheap). Once we were there and we ordered it and my cousin and I really put away a huge portion. My wife wouldn't have touched it for anything.

This thing is available in supermarkets here in the US.

So these are the weird Hungarian foods I know of and I like. This might explain why we are the way we are but if the food is good, who cares.





No comments:

Post a Comment