Thursday, April 17, 2014

First Responders

This is the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing. That was a sick and very unfortunate tragedy destroying many families. Thirteen years ago was the World Trade Center disaster which was also senseless and destroyed many, many families. And, as many of you know I was there on the 91st floor when it happened.

I was lucky, I survived. Can't say that for thirteen of my co-workers who weren't as lucky as I was.

Being in that hell way back then I have my opinion about the first responders and I think I am entitled to it.

The bottom line is that I am sick and tired of constantly hearing about first responders.

I and most of my colleagues got out of the building thanks to our clear thinking and not because of any first responder was there to help us. By the time they showed up we were across the streets watching the inferno.

First responders are the firefighters, ambulance and police. These people chose these jobs because they like to live dangerously. They don't go into these field because they want to sit in an office from nine to five. They chose these fields because of the uncertainty of dangers every day brings along with the adrenalin rush.

They are not looking for death, they don't want to die. But they like the aspects of the dangers they face. That is what they are getting paid for.

So for the media and the public to ooh and aah over their actions bothers the heck out of me. We are admiring people who are doing their jobs, who are doing what they like to do, who are doing what they chose to do and doing what they are paid to do.

In real life nobody goes off to work and not expect to return home because death takes them away. 2,600 people died at the World Trade Center. Most of these people went to work in the morning, expecting to sit at their desks and do their work. But that was not the way it worked out.

They, unfortunately never returned home that day. But these people were not paid for the dangers they were to face. These people were not the first responders. These were the innocent bystanders, the real victims and heros in my opinion.

Every life is valuable and precious. It shouldn't matter if it is a firefighter, policeman or ordinary person. Each one must command the same respect and people and the media should remember that. I will not fall on my face because of the firemen or policemen who died at the World Trade Center. However, I will fall on my face for my colleagues who perished at that building because to me they are the real heros.

No comments:

Post a Comment