Monday, April 28, 2014

Saint

Right at the beginning I have to mention that whatever I say here is my opinion and mine only. If it insults anybody I am sorry, it is not intentional, please believe me. I respect everybody's opinions and believes and I am not trying to influence it in any way.

Well, here it is!

I am not a religious person by any means. I am Jewish by birth and I am not denying it but I am not a practicing Jew. Actually, I really don't need to practice, I have been Jewish long enough.

My wife was Catholic but like me She was not a practicing Catholic either. We both had our believes and life was easier this way.

Usually, when I needed something I used to pray. I prayed to whomever was listening. I prayed to win on the Lottery. You all know how that worked out, right? But I used to pray for little things and sometimes I was lucky other times not.

When my wife got sick I did some serious praying. As She got sicker the intensity of my praying increased a thousandfold. I was not fussy. I asked everybody for help, from Allah to Buddha to Tao to the Dalai Lama to God. I prayed that She would get cured, I prayed that Her condition would improve, I prayed for everything under the sun that would help Her.

If I saw a church in my walks regardless to its denomination I went in, I also used the chapel in the hospital even though I knew that God supposed to hear me regardless where I was, and what religion I belonged to.

Unfortunately, my prayers were not answered and She did not get any better.

I do realize that God is busy with everything going on in the world and my prayers were probably lost in the avalanche of current human tragedies.

Now, why am I writing all this?

I am writing it because a while back I read that Pope John Paul II cured some Costa Rican woman who claimed to have brain aneurysm. So I prayed to him. I prayed every day for his intervention, his help but to it did not come.

Why not? Why could he not help out? Was he so busy that he couldn't help out a very ill person? What was he so busy with? Not that he got so much work up there that he couldn't take a second and help my poor, sick wife. Why did he help somebody from Costa Rica and not my wife, too?

I guessed he figured he already got his points for sainthood so why bother!

If I were a staunch believer this was the time when my believes would have floundered. This was the time to give up all hope for miracles to happen in this lifetime. I am very angry, very disgusted and totally disappointed.

As far as I am concerned he is not a saint, he is useless and he is just another old Pollack who just made a name for himself.

So, there it is! This is how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment