Saturday, April 12, 2014

Cooking

We men, and I speak mainly for myself, depend on our women for so much that it is unbelievable. Cooking, cleaning, taking care of the house and a million other things. We taking everything for granted. Don't deny it because we all know it is the truth. However, when tragedy strikes and we find ourselves alone with nobody to tell us what to do that is the second part of the tragedy.

It is taken for granted that or wives remember everything we like to eat and they always prepare it to our tastes. The problem is that they always make it look so easy. They know all the ingredients, the spices, the flavorings, the right quantities and the correct time each one needs to have the create the perfect meal.

Now that I am alone I am trying to tackle the mysteries of cooking. Thanks to my good friends I really do not need to cook for myself but once in a while I like to try my hand at it.

This morning I made myself bird nest. That is two eggs sunnyside up in two slices of bread with the inside of the bread taken out. I am very good at this "complicated" cooking.

When I finished it I was really proud of myself!

One night I decided to have steak for dinner. There are a few steaks frozen in my freezer from way back and I was told by reliable authority that frozen food would last forever. I took one out from the freezer in the morning and thawed it out very nicely. Then I marinated it and spiced it up and made it ready for the evening. When evening came I expertly opened a can of vegetables and while the steak was cooking I heated up the veggies.

After dinner I congratulated myself.

One day I bought eight pieces of fried chicken at the supermarket. By the way, they make fantastic fried chicken. I had a few pieces for dinner and put the rest away for other times. Next time I decided to have some I put them in the microwave to heat them up and had them with some potatoes. Actually this was the plan. But it didn't work out exactly as planned.

Just when I sat down to start my nice, warm fried chicken feast the phone rang. And, after that conversation the phone rang again. Now, I am a very polite person and very grateful when friends call. The bottom line is that the cold chicken with the cold vegetable wasn't that bad!?

I am very grateful to my wife because in her last few months She made me watch when She was doing dinner and I still remember a few of Her instructions. I know I will never be able to prepare such scrumptious meals as She did but at least I will not die of hunger.

So, what's the point of all this?

The point is that we men shouldn't take anything and anybody for granted. We should be prepared for unforeseeable events in order to prevent becoming burden to others.

Now, that's enough philosophy for one day. I am going to prepare my dinner now.

No comments:

Post a Comment