Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Matzo Balls and Love

Monday night was the first night of Passover. That is the night when good Jews eat a nice dinner in a very nice environment, say some prayers and I really don't know what else.

I was invited to my good friend's house where with her family we had a real nice dinner. We ate a lot, we talked a lot and oh yes, we drank a lot.

The meal was fantastic and the ambiance was good. We didn't say any prayers because nobody knew any and nobody knew what prayers are supposed to be said at this time. We got away with this behavior all these years, why change it now.

I really don't know what Passover is all about except what I saw in the movie Ten Commandments.

I for one don't feel very pious and humble. I feel we were passed over for everything good that could have happened to us.

Last year at this time we had a nice Passover dinner at home that my Catholic wife prepared for her Jewish husband with matzo balls and love.

She loved to do the traditional Jewish dinners for the major holidays. Neither of us knew what were the customary foods but whatever was prepared tasted superb.

This year I went to my friend's house and I was very grateful for the invitation. It would have been very difficult for me to be home alone tonight. Not only because of Passover but also because today is eight weeks that my wife passed away.

I guess there will be a time when I will stop counting the days but I am just not there yet.

So, for a few hours I put away my sadness and enjoyed the company I was in. I knew everybody, I was comfortable in that environment and I did have a good time.

Now I am home relaxing and waiting for the doorbell to ring!

No comments:

Post a Comment