Saturday, April 26, 2014

Robert Moses

This is a short description of how I met Robert Moses at the New York World's Fair.

For those who do not know who was Robert Moses this it: he was the "master builder" of mid-20th century New York City, Long Island, Rockland County, and Westchester County, New York. This straight from Wikipedia.

Many of the facilities used today, including roads, bridges, tunnels, parks and beaches were the creations of Robert Moses. He was also the brainchild behind the 1964 New York World's Fair.

As I mentioned before I worked on the construction of one of the pavilions. Seeing various visitors was not unusual since this undertaking was not something one could see every day even in New York.

I was the engineer and my boss was the construction superintendent who was a brash, know it all very impatient person who drove a Citroen. Him and I got along very well.

I was 27 years old, seven years in this country and my English was far from perfect. So, one day when a group of suits showed up and wanted to see the project it was not surprising that he didn't want to have anything to do with them. He told me to show them around since I knew the project as well as he did.

At the time there was little more than a very big mud hole with some foundations. Well, I go out and meet the group and introduce myself. Can't tell you how surprised I was when the group of people separated and in the middle stood a little guy who was Robert Moses.

I was introduced and the tour began. Everything went fine. He was charming, asked good questions, accepted my smart answers and eventually we parted on very good terms. As nervous as I was I tried to speak as good English as possible with my limited knowledge but it seemed it worked.

After they left I went back to the office and asked my boss: did you know who was here, he said who. Robert Moses I replied. He got really pissed at himself for passing up such an opportunity and leave it to a guy like me.

Well, that's life: full of opportunities and disappointments!

No comments:

Post a Comment