Thursday, April 3, 2014

Age

I might have written about this subject a couple of hundred blogs ago but I am not sure, so I write it now.

I am not young. Physically I am at a good advanced age but mentally I feel that seventy is the new forty!? Does this sound ok?

Anyway, the point is that I lived long enough, went through a lot of things, gained a lot of experience, managed the good and the bad.

Why am I saying these?

Because everywhere I look there is advice being given by people who could be my great grand children. Every time I turn the TV on there is someone giving financial, ethical, pshycological or medical advise and that person barely cleared the learner's permit age.

These people come out of some Ivy League school and they are convinced that it gives them the right to know everything better than everybody else. They have no experience, everything they say is based on what they learned from textbooks.

When my wife and I were in the hospital some social worker came up to me and said that knowing the problems I was facing if I wanted to talk she was available.

Please, give me a break! She was barely 25 or 30 years old, and I am over 70. What could she tell me that would have helped? She might have had all the necessary education and degrees but she certainly lacked life experience. There was absolutely nothing she could have told me that I already didn't know and experience.

My slogan is that I know everything and if I didn't know it it is not important. Sounds a little pompous but that's the way I feel.

I used to have an aged stock broker. He knew the market, he frequently called me with good suggestions, he was trustworthy and I had confidence in him.

Now, the company has these young turks who claim to know everything about the market and I should place my faith and future in their hands. When donkeys fly!

This is the first part of my tirade against young people. I'll continue this in the second installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment