Monday, March 31, 2014

Healthy Living

Today (Sunday) I heard an ad on the radio where they said how healthy horseradish is. They said just a little bit a day will make one feel very good. They also said it has superb antioxidant properties and a small amaount a day is very good to eat.

So on that note and keeping healthy living in the forefront of my existence I fixed myself a strong bloody mary this afternoon. You must understand that my bloody mary is heavy on horseradish. As I am sitting here writing this I'm sipping my health drink and feeling very good. Well, beside the horseradish I have a few secret receipes that make my concoction extremely good.

I am writing this at 6 in the afternoon and it is thundering and lightning in my neighborhood. A beautiful Sunday if I may say so. I feel sorry for my friends who came over from the UK and now are stuck with this miserable weather. This is not an outdoorsy weather. It has been raining almost non stop since Saturday morning.

Maybe because they premiered the movie Noah on Friday. And we all know what Noah is all about. Rain, rain and more rain. So this weather might be a marketing ploy for the movie.

Back to healthy living. They kept saying for years that coffee is no good because of caffeine in it. Now they changed it saying that actually caffeine is beneficial for hair growth and also ward off Alzheimer's. Years ago they said eggs will increase the cholesterol level. Now they are saying eggs are good may prevent macular degeneration and eggs can also prevent strokes and heart attacks.

My head is spinning from all this eat do not eat, drink do not drink advise. Why the scientists can not get their acts together and come up with good reliable advice. Every few days in the media they come up with some newly discovered "fact" that proves long believed facts wrong.

It is amazing how much this modern world do not know.

In my parents' and grandparents' time there were no such discoveries, or at least very few. People ate what they could get their hand on or whatever was traditional. And they all were healthy and happy. There was no high cholesterol, high blood pressure or any other complications. Oh, and my Mother and Grandmother did not cook with canola oil but used lard. And I ate well, very well.

This new world has its own complications in food: tofu, organic food, artificial seafood, farm produced fish.

Where I grew up people stuffed ducks and geese by hand and that way they got big and fat with huge livers. They might have not been too happy about it but when at the end of the road they were being killed for food what difference it made. The goose liver pates were fantastic I have to admit.

Now to make the ducks and geese happy they can not be hand stuffed. I don't know how happy they are when their heads are chopped off.

That's life on the slow lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment